Thursday 16 April 2009

Clear as crystal!

As we've learned through Sarah's handout2, any text should be easy to follow and clear in meaning, especially when analysing complex subjects (i.e. academic papers). A crystalline and readable writing should be:

Let's see if the academic paper I've chosen follows this guideline...I'm going to do this asking myself some questions presented in handout2.

1.Does the paper follows the hourglass structure (iow, well structured: intro,body,conclusion)? Yes, the paper follows the hourglass shape. It stars by summarizing the content and forecasting the conclusions; it also highlights the key words. Then, the body develops each of the topics presented at the beginning, providing examples. At the end, the paper sums up the content and exposes the conclusions.
2.Is there a logical flow of ideas? Yes. Since argument is large-scale, the paper body is broken down into parts, each one dealing with a different topic. However, each part is logically linked, even without using a large amount of metalinguistic signaling devices. The logical link is provided by introducing briefly an issue in the paragraph that precedes the 'real' paragraph on this issue.
3.Is the text cohesive? Yes; the ideas and information's flow is clear and easy to follow. Nothing is left unsaid; obviously the reader has to have a basical notion of what PLEs and e-learning are. However, the cohesiveness is provided by a sufficient amount of references forward and back (e.g. In the introduction I said; these tools; moreover).
4.Is the writing clear or complex? The content is clear and well exposed; however, as I've just said above, any reader should have at least a basic knowledge of PLEs, social software and e-learning. Most of the times the writer refers to specific concept just using their acronyms; therefore the writing turns to be sometimes difficult, but - I would say - not obscure.
5.Who is the text’s assumed audience? What indications of this do you have? How does this influence how the text is written? I think that the paper is intended for someone who has basic notions about the subject. I wouldn't say that is intended only for experts because I myself understood almost everything. As I said before, the academic influence comes out when the writer uses technical terms and acronyms to specific concepts. Anyway, the researcher - at the beginning - provides a list of key words so that one can go and search for them and their acronyms.

Ops, I've been talking too much... :)

Bye
Giorgia
(photo source)

2 reactions:

Francesca said...

Hi Giorgia!

First of all I want to say that I love the style of your posts. They are never stock and the language you use is very catchy. I know it seems a paradox but I think it sounds spontaneous and accurate at the same time. I like the use of acronyms, too, because in this way the style seems very fresh.

Talking about this post, I like the fact that you linked each rule to its definition. In this way there is no need to explain it and you can be more concise. Good idea.

Grammatically speaking, I don't see mistakes so there are two alternatives: either your English is very very good or my English is very very bad, ahahah!
The only note that I can do is about present perfect (except for the last one). I don't use it any more. I would say "As we learned" and "Let's see if the academic paper I chose"...maybe they are right but..you know..just to be sure.. ;)

Have a nice day!
Fra

Giorgia said...

Hi Francesca!

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Well, I'm SURE that your English is very good...but I'm not so sure about mine ;) LOL

See ya!
Giorgia