Saturday 4 April 2009

FeedBACK to get FORWARD

In parallel with the running of our blogs, me and my classmates are working a lot on mutual feedback, especially about grammar issues.
I think that getting feedback is an extremely useful way to get aware of our frequent mistakes; it is difficult for me to always recognize my errors, especially if I'm the only reader of my pieces of writing. :)
I sometimes notice my mistakes but you know...the more you go on reading and re-reading the same passage, the less you'll realize the errors inside.
BTW, if you've already read my post on 'personal learning environment', aka PLE, you know that in the last couple of weeks I've removed a few things from my vocabulary: present perfect (really hard, as you can see above!!!) and 'also'.

During the last lesson we continued our work on grammar improvement; we talked about 'building sentences', especially using subordinators and conjuncts. I learned that:
- subordinators (e.g. although, since, when) are never preceded by a comma;
- conjuncts (e.g. in addition, to sum up, therefore) are always independent words or expressions followed by a comma. They can be preceded only by a full stop or a semi-colon.
It is important to remember that subordinators and conjuncts are very formal expressions that tend to make the syntax heavy. So, if you manage to express yourself clearly and logically without those expressions, don't use them!

Then we talked about relative clauses (defining and non-defining), which are used to give additional information about something just mentioned without starting another sentence.
If you want some good tips about the above mentioned grammar issues, take a look to Grammar Girl, an helpful website about linguistic topics.

Ok guys...Hope this information will help you!
And I hope to get more and more aware of my mistakes and get rid of them!

Bye
Giorgia

0 reactions: