Saturday 18 April 2009

Examining my conscience :)

Hello all,

as anyone can see from my previous posts, me and my classmates are working a lot on sources' evaluation, reliability, writing and readability...So, as Sarah suggested, I want to think about my blog. I mean, I want to analyse if my blog posts respect some or any of the following characteristics:
hourglass structure/well structured, logical, cohesive, clear, precise, concise and coherent.

As I go back and take a look to my first posts (e.g. Language Learning post) I realize that I made a lot of mistakes concerning:

  • grammar,
  • paragraphing,
  • post length,
  • use of conjuncts & subordinators (despite making myself clear, I used them too much!).

However, the more I go on writing and learning new things about text structure, the more it seems to me that I make better posts...Hope you've noticed that :) In the last posts I think I've managed to be precise and concise at the same time, which - afaic - it's very important in blogging. I myself get bored while reading everlasting and repetitive posts!

I think that blogging, unlike traditional writing, give us the possibility to be concise and precise without a lot of effort. Let's think about technical words or acronyms...you just put a clickable link on them and at the same time:

  • people who know the meaning of that word just go on reading without any problem, and you don't bother them with an unwanted and verbose explanation;
  • people who don't know the meaning of that word just click on the highlighted word and will find all the needed information, and you don't increase your post's length.

BTW, let me know what you think about that!

Bye
Giorgia
(photo source)

0 reactions: