Friday 1 May 2009

Google Docs...rocks!

Hello all!

Do you know what
GoogleDocs is? Well, believe me, it's a wonderful web tool.

GoogleDocs is a free, web-based tool offered by Google. Creating your account in GoogleDocs enable you to write, edit, store and share documents online. The types of documents that you can work on are: word documents, worksheet (like in Microsoft Office™ Excel™), PDF files and presentations.

That said, one might observe that what I've just mentioned is more or less what we can do with
Microsoft Office™ or OpenOffice; therefore, I'm going to tell you why this is not the case.

The peculiarities of
GoogleDocs are:
  • GoogleDocs is NOT a software package so it's different from Microsoft Office™ and OpenOffice. It is an online service, you don't have to download it on your pc or buy it;
  • you can always have access to your documents. Since is a web-based tool (like Bloglines and Del.icio.us), you can log into your account from any computer and work on your documents wherever you are;
  • you can upload, create and edit documents directly online. You can also share them - in a private way - with your peer students, friends or workmates. You just have to send them an invitation mail to join GoogleDocs;
  • you can benefit from an online, real-time, shared collaboration. All the people you share a document with can edit it simultaneously and see who's working or worked on it (see 'history function'). The funny thing is that all these people can be wherever they want, they just need a computer.

What comes out is that, like any other tool in Web 2.0, GoogleDocs allows you to work, communicate and share information with peers, no matter where they or you are...You just need a computer!

Bye
Giorgia
(
photo source)

P.S. I love GoogleDocs 'cos I won't lose hundreds of usb devices anymore ;)

2 reactions:

valentina said...

Hallo Giorgia!

Wow..you really did a good job in writing this post! It is exhaustive, precise and coincise at the same time. You managed to explain what is Google Docs very clearly. I like the fact that you also gave a 'tecnological' explanation of the tool..I hadn't thought of that.

Anyway, I found a few things I would modify:

-You wrote 'Creating your account in Google Docs enable you to..' instead of 'enables you to..'
-'It is an online service, you don't have to download it on your pc or buy it': no comma between two independent clauses! (I think..)
-'The funny thing is...' Here I'm not sure that the use of 'funny' is right..I think funny means divertente, but more in the sense of ridicolo, strano...

This is all I could find, you did a great job!
See you soon!

Serena Zorzi said...

Hi Giorgia! As usual, I want to congratulate you on your English and the way you've organized your blog so far. I'm impressed by your vocabulary! Can you tell me your secret?
By the way, I agree with all you've written on Google Docs. As I said on my blog, I didn't know anything about this tool until a few days ago. I think it's very useful and enables people to do a lot of things. I particularly like the fact that it's an invite-service only, and that many people can view and/or edit a document at the same time! Think about a group of students who have to do an assignment together. Wouldn't Google Docs make them save a lot of time and energy?
From a linguistic point of view, again, your English is excellent! I've just found a couple of mistakes: you forgot to put an 's' at the end of the verb 'enable', right at the beginning of your post. There's also one thing I'm not completely sure about: it's the word 'worksheet'. The word is part of a list of plural nouns (Word documents, files, presentations). Shouldn't it be written in the plural form as well? Last thing of my feedback...when writing about the peculiarities of Google Docs, you say: 'since is a web based tool...'. I guess you need to add an anticipatory 'it' before 'is'. Well, that's all!!

Good job! ;))

Serena