Friday 8 May 2009

A tangled Web of traps!

Hello all!

I wanna tell you something before you start reading: I'm going to be long-winded but the subject is worth it!
I want to talk about the risks of the Internet and the related observations that we came up with last Wednesday during class.

Let's go through a brief list of the most common web-traps we might encounter while surfing the net:

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm a Web enthusiast and I know that my enthusiasm comes from a responsible and fruitful use of the Internet. The technical and intellectual information that we've learned during classes should have given us the proper tools to be - reasonably - safe and curious when using the Internet and its services.
What I want to say is that if you don't have the basic, background information on how the net should be handled, you could run into the above mentioned traps and get frightened by the Web.

What we've learned so far through Sarah's classes is that the Web is huge and we are far from knowing it properly, in all its aspects. However, if we manage to keep our eyes firmly open the net can become a 'good friend' of us.

Let's see some actions that can be useful to turn a 'bad egg' into a 'good fellow':

  • when you subscribe to any website, blog or create your account into any free, online services (e.g. Bloglines, Del.icio.us) always remember to read carefully the terms of the service/(web) contract you are subscribing to. We (too) often think that if something is not printed (i.e. vitual) is less valid and legal: WRONG! It's always a matter of rights...and duties too;
  • be aware of what plagiarism, IPR and Creative Commons are; they are crucial concepts that turn to be useful in printed works too;
  • be careful when giving your personal information (e.g. credit card number, personal e-mail). I've personally decided to have a second e-mail address to use when subscribing any online services;
  • moms, dads, brothers & sisters, anyone who are informed about web-traps: never let children alone in front of a computer, and when they are sufficently grown up give them the needed tools to deal with the Internet properly.

However, despite reading, learning, searching any information about these risks, the traps are always around the corner. So, the only thing I can say and suggest about these issues is: keep your eyes open!!!

Well, let me know what's your point of view and your possible solutions to these problems.

Bye
Giorgia
(photo source)

3 reactions:

Serena Zorzi said...

Hi Giorgia!

Your post is long, but it was worth reading it; it's really interesting! I agree with the fact that the Internet is a double-edged weapon. On the one hand there are many advantages in using the Net: it provides a lot of tools and services as well as being a great source of information. On the other hand, it's very easy to fall into traps like plagiarism, privacy violation, identity problems, etc. This is particularly true for young people, who often don't use the Internet properly. You're right when you say that chidren should always be assisted by adults when using the Web, at least until they are mature enough to use it critically. I can't see many solutions to the problems discussed in your post, and I believe we are all of the same opinion: the Internet is good if used in a critical way. Starting from primary school, teachers (supported by families) should educate their pupils to an aware use of the Web. Do you think it could work like that?

Here is my brief feedback:
- since you always wrote the Internet with capital I, you should also write the Net with capital N because you need to be consistent (the Net is an abbreviation of the Internet);
- the noun DIFFICULTY should be followed by the preposition IN + ING form (difficulties in doing something);
- instead of "others' works", I'd write "other people's works" simply because it sounds better to me;
- I wouldn't use the verb LEARNED with 'information'. What about ACQUIRED?;
- I have the impression that the verb HANDLE doesn't work very well with the noun 'Internet'; I'd say 'USE the Internet';
- the verb'subscribe' needs the preposition TO (subscribe to a service);
- when you wrote 'let alone', did you mean 'LEAVE alone'?;
- at the end of your post you say 'let me know what's your point of view...'. Since this is an indirect question, the verb to be goes at the end of the sentence. So, I'd say 'let me know what your point of view and your possible solutions to these problems ARE'.

As usual...good job! ;)

Serena

Giorgia said...

Hi Serena!

Thank you for your feedback.
I totally agree with you on the fact that computer tools and a critical use of the Internet should be taught since primary school.
As I said in my post, Internet traps are always around the corner but a proper education could be very useful in avoiding at least a great part of these traps.

Thank you for your grammar feedback too.
As regards the correction on the verb 'to subscribe' I think I put the 'to' everywhere...but maybe I'm wrong ;) let me know...

Bye
Giorgia

valentina said...

Usually I love your posts because of their conciseness..this time you made me work!! :)

As always, you have been very clear and precise. Your post is well structured, coherent and fluent and I can see you've really been thinking about the whole thing.

As far as linguistic feedback is concerned, I agree with most of Serena's points, and I'd like to add something:
-'information that we've learned during classes': what did we say about present perfect?? :)
- you wrote 'vitual' instead of virtual..of course here the mistake is due to distraction
-'too': doesnt't it always need to be preceded by a comma?
-'any online services': any needs the singular..probably this is a matter of distraction, too
This is all I could find; as you can see, nothing serious. As always you did very well!
See you soon!