Saturday 2 May 2009

A tough nut to crack!

Hi guys!

I wanna tell you a creepy story about 'references'...

I was a little girl - 2yrs ago :) - when I first heard about 'references, bibliography and quotations'. I was preparing my BA thesis and my supervisor (the professor who helped me out) told me how to quote others' works, make in-text citations and write a good bibliography.
I was unaware of how this experience would have dramatically changed my life. From that moment onward, I started to get extremely anxious and sometimes fussy when putting down ANY piece of writing...even a shopping list!
Recently I was having a quite peaceful period but - guess what? - Sarah has given us (my classmates and I) a tough work to do: adjust a HUGE amount of references and in-text citations. My nightmare...again! :(

Well, joking aside, I think we all have learned that the referencing issue is tough but crucial. Making proper citations and writing down a respectful bibliography protect us from plagiarism and the infringement of IPR. What's more, we now have a fresh new tool for taking advantage of collaboration and shared feedback, for referencing too: GoogleDocs (see here).

Talk to you soon
Giorgia
(photo source)

P.S. In the light of what I've learned so far during Sarah's classes (see here), I think that in my BA thesis I used the APA style...more or less. I was unaware...and perhaps it was better to be unaware!!! :)

0 reactions: